Sunday, November 2, 2008

What I did tonight

I have been painting some more. Tonight I made a bunch of encaustic paintings and here are some of them.



This first set is four separate paintings. The panel is 18x24 and the strip on the right is about 5 feet long. I also made the ones that follow tonight.




The white ones with text are like a bunch of others I've been making, except these have some wax on top of the gesso. Under the white gesso are action paintings in the style of Pollock, but made with wax (a little art history joke about ab ex painters and a reference to Jasper Johns, who typically uses encaustic). The prior ones used word combinations I thought were interesting or some of the spam titles I've collected. These included here are references to the Wallace Stevens poem, The Idea of Order at Key West, an epistemological poem which has always been very important to me. The uncovered drip paintings will likely be covered with gesso and words or phrases will be carved into them.
The three skinny ones in the first photo are encaustic on industrial aluminum and they all curve quite a bit away from the wall, though that doesn't come through in the photo. So each of them is kind of sculptural in the way they occupy the space in front of them.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

No comments: